Kauai: Photographing Paradise Workshop
(7 day Kauai Island photo workshop)
You haven’t experienced a true tropical paradise until you visit the island of Kauai. Named the “Garden Island”, Kauai is ripe with jaw-dropping landscapes at every turn. You’ll see the towering fluted cliffs along the Na Pali coastline, dramatic rugged coastal rocks surrounded by shimmering blue water, photogenic lighthouses, raw and powerful ocean surf, thundering waterfalls, and more. With quickly changing weather and a humid environment, tropical sunsets and sunrises are commonplace. Now imagine yourself in the warm sand, capturing the diverse beauty of one of the most untouched islands on the Hawaiian island chain. Photographers Majeed Badizadegan and Nick Page both know and love this beautiful island, and want to share its treasures with you. With our combined location knowledge, instructing experience, and passion for photography, we will take you to the best possible photo locations.
And while you’re waiting for a sunrise or sunset, you can always take a break to grab a coconut or some shaved ice (local favorites), and jump in the warm ocean to snorkel with sea turtles, tropical fish, and dolphins. What better way to escape from the cold of December?
Dates/Itinerary 7 Days ( December 11th - 17th 2017 )
You should schedule your flight to arrive the day before the start of the tour to give yourself time to rest and get acquainted with the new time zone. We are all going to need a little sleep and rest before getting our start.
Important note: To make the most of this workshop we will be closely monitoring and evaluating weather patterns. The weather will likely play a role in our locations for each sunrise and sunset. The Itinerary is a tentative schedule and subject to change.
Day 1 (Monday, Dec 11th)
- We will meet up for lunch, have our introductions and set goals for the workshop.
- Check in to the hotel and drop off bags
- Meet for Sunset shoot, then head out and shoot sunset likely at Queen’s bath.
Days 2 - 6
- We will be up bright and early for sunrise every day! We'll meet for sunrise and continue on through the day
- We will shoot during the day when the light is favorable, during harsh light hours you will have some time to
- explore on your own, or post process your photos
- We will have multiple post processing sessions and 1 on 1 image critique sessions during our week together
- We will spend two days on the west part of the island photographing the Waimea Canyon and surrounding
- The majority of our time will be spent along the eastern beaches and Northern shore
Day 7 ( Sunday, December 17th )
- Meet for sunrise
- Those who need to catch flights on Saturday may depart
- Those who stick around can shoot sunset with us on our last location
Price - $1950
$1950 includes your guiding fees AND lodging (All prices in US Dollars. Reserve your spot at this link.)
What is included:
* Guiding and Instruction
* LODGING: 6 night's lodging during the tour (based on double occupancy)
* One on One instruction with Nick and Majeed, and a 4:1 instructor to participant ratio!
* Group post-processing sessions and instruction
What is NOT included:
- Meals ( we will have snacks and drinks available on location, but the meals will be up to the workshop participants)
- Travel to and from Kauai
- Lodging before and after the workshop
- Transportation. After signing up for the workshop, we will connect you with other participants who may want to split costs on a car. Carpooling will be highly encouraged and we can help people group up to share a car.
* WE ARE EXTREMELY LIMITED in how many people we can take on this trip, so if you’re considering the trip, do NOT delay booking. I expect this trip to go quickly.
* Your payment of $1,200 is NON-REFUNDABLE! The payment is not a deposit, but is an initial payment to reserve our time in leading your workshop. If you need to cancel your attendance at the workshop, we may advertise the opening to others. IF someone else signs up to take your spot, we may refund you your $1,200, but only if the spot sells to another in time.
We think you could reasonably budget about $3500 (US Dollars) for the entire trip. Here’s how we figure:
$1,950 workshop fee
$350 rental car fee and gas
$750 flight (Depending on where you’re coming from. I’d guess the cheapest fare rates will be about 2 months in advance. Don’t book your flights until you’re in the Facebook group and we can talk out details.)
$190 food (It’d be more if you eat out each meal for sure, but we usually eat breakfast at the hotel and just pack some granola bars/snacks for lunch)
We obviously can’t guarantee your travel prices other than the workshop fee, but those are the estimates of what we consider reasonable having been there before. So to be clear, you’ll be paying Majeed Badizadegan Photography and Nick Page Photography the $1,950 workshop and lodging fee ONLY.
You’ll be given a link to a special Facebook group for attendees after checkout.
WE ARE EXTREMELY LIMITED in how many people we can take on this trip, so if you’re considering the trip, do NOT delay booking. I expect this trip to go quickly.
Your payment of $800 is a non - refundable initial payment toward the total of $1950. The payment is to reserve your spot in the workshop. The balance is due 60 days prior to the first day of the workshop, October 11th, 2016. If you need to cancel your attendance to the workshop, Majeed Badizadegan Photography and Nick Page Photography may advertise the opening to others. If someone else signs up to take your spot, we may refund you your deposit, but only if the spot sells to another in time.
We will have a student to instructor ratio of 4:1. This will be a very small intimate group, where everyone will get plenty of instruction and one on one time with either Majeed and Nick. The instructors are myself (Nick Page) and my good friend and incredible photographer Majeed Badizadegan. I really feel like having two workshop instructors for a trip like this is a huge benefit because you get to see two very different opinions of photography and techniques, so you can learn different styles and have the opportunity to pick up what you like.
What the trip is like
Before the trip, we’ll start a new Facebook group just for attendees. You’ll meet everyone in the group (virtually) before we leave and be able to ask questions and prepare. This will be where you can find someone to split a car/room with, etc. This is not a lazy vacation. This is serious sleep-when-you’re-dead style photography.
Physical abilities/Skill Level/Equipment
From a physical standpoint, if you feel comfortable walking 1 mile on uneven terrain, you should be in fine shape for this trip. The rocky ground in Kauai can be uneven in some place, but we won’t need to go on any prolonged hikes over 2 miles. There will be some hikes with elevation gain. Those with bad hearts or bad knees wont love these hikes. If any location is out of your comfort zone, you’re more than welcome to shoot another location, stay at the hotel and rest, or wait in the van until we get to another more comfortable location for you.
From a photography skill level point of view, anyone is welcome. There is no need to be an advanced photographer by any means. We usually have a good mix of mostly intermediate photographers, a few advanced, and a few beginners. But if you haven’t yet mastered shooting in manual mode,
You definitely don’t need fancy photography gear to shoot in Kauai. If you have any camera capable of shooting in manual mode, a tripod, and a wide angle lens, you’re good. If you don’t have that, then just rent it for a week.
Important Legal Information
By attending this workshop, you agree to hold Majeed Badizadegan of Majeed Badizadegan Photography and Nick Page of Nick Page Photography and its employees and owners harmless for all personal injury or loss that may occur during or in connection with this trip.This is a self-led travel trip. You are responsible for your safety in the car you choose to travel in, with the roommate you select, and as you move about the Oregon Coast. Do not push your physical abilities past what you are healthy enough to do. You are in charge of deciding if a location is safe for you to travel to.
Travel insurance as well as insurance for your photo gear are both highly recommended. All it takes is one rouge wave to ruin your day or even trip, so insurance while shooting the coast is highly recommended.
Majeed Badizadegan of Majeed Badizadegan Photography and Nick Page of Nick Page Photography role in this workshop is to teach photography along the Oregon Coast and guide you to great locations. You are responsible for your safety as you travel. Majeed Badizadegan of Majeed Badizadegan Photography and Nick Page of Nick Page Photography makes no effort to vet the other attendees of the trip and you need to make sure you are safe in their companionship.
In the event of extraordinary events, governmental instability, extreme weather, or other condition, Majeed Badizadegan of Majeed Badizadegan Photography and Nick Page of Nick Page Photography reserves the right to cancel this trip and return all workshop fees to participants.